Your First Visit to Artemesia Acupuncture
Preparing for your first visit:
- Download Initial Intake Forms
- If you are coming for fertility or smoking cessation, please let us know; as there are additional forms.
- Please come in about 20 minutes before your treatment time and fill out our initial intake forms in the waiting area. You can fill out the forms before you arrive as we can also FAX or email your intake forms ahead of time or you can download the forms by clicking “Download Initial Intake Forms” on the link above.
- Do not brush or scrape your tongue the morning of your appointment.
- Avoid all extremes such as a big meal or vigorous exercise 4-6 hours before and 4-6 hours after your initial and all subsequent treatments.
- Do not drink alcohol 4 hours before or 4 hours after your treatment.
- Please bring a list of all your prescriptions and supplements along with the doses, times of day taken, and what condition(s) they address.
- Let us know if you have special needs. We have a handicapped accessible entrance in the back of the building and a handicapped equipped bathroom. We also have a sturdy “spa” table that accommodates patients who need to sit up for treatments and a massage chair for those individuals who cannot lie down for treatment.
Included in the first visit:
Your initial visit is scheduled for two hours and includes talking with your practitioner about your health history, current health issues and concerns, and various lifestyle factors including diet, sleep, exercise, and potential stressors. To discover how the energy is moving in your body your twelve meridian (the pathways through which energy flows) pulses, located on both wrists, will be evaluated for quality, strength, and rhythm. The structure, color, and coating of your tongue may also be used to assess the quality of your health. All this information helps in planning treatments designed especially for you. The aim is to discover which energy channels need adjusting for your specific complaints to improve and to increase your energy and overall sense of well-being. You will receive an acupuncture treatment during the second hour of your first appointment. You may also receive information on diet or exercise, or suggestions on supplements or herbal formulas.
All subsequent sessions are scheduled for an hour. Consultations for customized herbal formulas or nutritional advice without an acupuncture treatment may vary in time depending on if you are an established patient or are requesting this service only.
- We accept cash, check, Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover.
- Flex Care spending (FSA) and Health Savings accounts (HSA) pay for acupuncture.
- We do not file health insurance claims. However, we are registered with all the major insurance companies. Please contact your insurance company to see if your individual plan covers acupuncture. Payment is due in full at the time of each treatment, but we will gladly provide you with a professional invoice containing all the information you need to file a reimbursement claim with your insurance company.
- Artemesia does accept Worker’s Compensation and Personal Injury Patients (PIP), with prior approval. Please let us know prior to scheduling your first appointment if you have an active WC or PIP claim.
- Artemesia is an approved provider with the Veteran’s Administration. Please contact your VA provider concerning the benefits of acupuncture in your health care.